[78-L] One question about mainspring greasing

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 28 08:37:56 PST 2009

Leroy Barco wrote:
> Iñigo,
>
> As a sometimes reseller of machines, I do a minimal all around
> rehabilitation of the machines, with the primary part of the rehab being
> rebuilding and adjusting the reproducer.
>
> For the springs, I patiently allow pure silicone spray from the hardware
> store to seep into the springbarrel openings while the spring is winding
> down.
>
> I'm sure others will have thoughts about this, but it stops thumps/jumps on
> unwinding and frees up portable springs that could not play through a ten
> inch 78 so that they will.
>
> Will it last many years? I don't know but no one has brought a machine back
> yet.
>
> Regards,
>         LeRoy
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Iñigo Cubillo <i.cubillo at telefonica.net>wrote:
>
> ...I've been searching for a suitable grease for mainsprings in gramophones
> since long years ago....

Everything I have read or seen about spring repair indicates there are
several reasons for spring problems. Hardened grease is only one of
them. If you don't want to take the thing apart (a risky business), you
might want to borrow a trick from the clock folks. Soak the drum in
mineral spirits or kerosene for several days, then use automotive wheel
bearing grease.
Be cautious. These springs can get loose and remove fingers, eyes, etc.
I once mangled a finger unwinding an anniversary clock spring. OUCH!

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.