[78-L] Amazon Quickie and death of DVD

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Nov 27 15:17:18 PST 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> I presume the scene looked something like this?
> http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/retail.asp
> (November 27th strip)
>
> dl

Actually the Beatles box set was an on-line transaction, but that might
have been what Leah's apartment looked like in virtual reality.  Maybe
they should call it "Black and Blue Friday" for more than one reason!  I
just heard an All Things Considered report from an Ohio Target store
where things like the smaller flat-screen TVs sold out in 2 minutes.  As
for the Beatles on-line 3 minute sell out, the comments made by the
successful and unsuccessful purchasers are here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/discussion/A3Q4OXNG0AX5R8/ref=cm_cd_ecf_tft_tp?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx20DX5GEB7TUX8&cdThread=Tx8BJODVMYWX9L

One person had a very good comment concerning that after they were sold
out in three minutes at the sale price, they were still in stock at the
regular price of $177.  That must have meant that there was just an
ALLOCATION of sets to sell at the sale price.  For all we know it might
have been ten sets!

As for my foray into WalMart, I was there at one in the afternoon and
things had considerably calmed down.  My first venture out was at 11:15
to Radio Shack a mile down the hill from my abode to get some blank
CD-Rs and camera memory chips before they went off sale at 11:30.  I do
admit the store was crowded, but it is a small store.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com