[78-L] Columbia 415 questions.

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 08:18:53 PST 2009

I have this on a 7" disc (silver ring label, 415-1 handwritten in wax near
the spindle hole), 'The new born king'....from what I can make out of the
lyrics in spots, it is a Christmas song.

Wild guesstimation:  recorded circa November 1901?

Also typical for the era, 'tenor solo' on the label with no artiste credit.
Can someone give me the correct name of the singer?  It's hard to hear, it
sounds like 'Mister Marshes' but I'm not sure.  I also wonder if anyone else
recorded the same selection on other matrices, such as J W Myers, and/or if
'Marshes' also recorded the 10" opposite number that surely must exist
somewhere?