[78-L] Obie item?

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:38:48 PST 2009

> Found this among a small stack of VERY miscellaneous 78's (probably from a > CAPS> auction...?!):> > "Classic Records, Inc." Young People's Opera House> > Record numbered 500A/500D ("Part 1/Part 4").> > "Bizet's 'Carmen'" Orchestra directed by Frederick Kramer> No matrix numbers shown; record appears to be vinyl or similar plastic (very > light in> weight and very flexible)!> > Was this one of Obie's projects? If so, c. when?> > Steven C. Barr >

Steve,

This sounds like a Young People's Records aka Children's Record Guild project; I'm not familiar with a 500 number series from YPR, but they did do some straight-up music appreciation records, some of which -- such as "Strawinsky" -- came out in the regular YPR series.

Among the winners in the ARSC awards for excellence this time was:

Best History:

Revolutionizing Children's Records: The Young People's Records and Children's Record Guild Series, 1946-1977; by David Bonner (Scarecrow Press)

I suspect that this record might be listed there, if I'm right.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com