[78-L] NY record stores - CD/vinyl related^

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Nov 22 09:15:33 PST 2009

Was in Manhattan for the week and, as usual, records were slim pickins. Due to business restraints, I didn't have much time to shop around, but I did happen across a neat sale in the lobby of 75 Rockefeller Plaza. I was leaving the building after a meeting and noticed a commotion in a room just off of the revolving doors leading to the 53rd St. exit (I think ). There was a sale of CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, and other ephemera being held by Warner Bros. to benefit Habitat for Humanity. All single CDs were $1. Double discs $2, and box sets not much more than that. The place was like a beehive with collectors buzzing about snatching up whatever they could. There must have been 50 people in a room probably 15 x 20. Nearly all the CDs were WEA-related. I picked up some roots-oriented stuff, like Eric Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson" tribute to Robert Johnson tunes that he's been obsessed with since the '60s, Rhino's "The Very Best of Big Joe Turner," and a 2-CD set on folk singer Judy Henske (also Rhino). Other non-roots stuff included a Doors box set for $5 and the Rhino "That's Entertainment" box set, 6 CDs on the glory days of the MGM musical, for $10. There was even a handful of recent vinyl pressings. I got Paul Simon's "Surprise" and "Road to Ensenada" by J.J. Cale and Eric Clapton. Ended up spending $32 and got 22 discs. Haven't had so much fun in a long time, going through all the stuff. Was this publicized and did anyone else know about this?

Nice to see that Bleecker Bob's is still operating down in the Village and is still mostly vinyl. Other than that and a trip to the Jazz Record Center on 26th Street, nada.

Cary Ginell