[78-L] The Vitaphone set from Warners Archives is out - 6 DVDS!

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 21 06:03:11 PST 2009

Martha wrote:
>  Jimmy played his saxophone very beautifully, unlike way too many modern
> musicians. Check this page: http://alistairappleton.com/blog/?p=1021
>
> He HATES "jazz" because of the self-indulgent, endless solos,  which I also
> dislike. Alistair mostly despises saxophones.   Few modern jazzers can play
> the sax properly - it should be a rich, sonorous, beautiful sound - not the
> wheezy, scratchy, breathless crapola it usually is.

I comes down to a matter of taste and technique. Jimmy was obviously an
old-school musician, with loads of straight-up technique and vivid
imagination. His bands were flush with excellence and technical prowess.
It's what he grew up with. See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZc0CeVFRD8
and
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gbm2_im-more-than-satisfied-the-capitoli_music