[78-L] Unexpected (NON-sexy!) LP

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Nov 20 20:10:15 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> That reprobate Mr. Biel will probably know the answer to this one
>> ..were all pressings of the Design LP "Tijuana Christmas" by The
>> Border Brass pressed on gold plastic with a cheesecake photo in
>> the vinyl on side 2? This is an album I've ignored hundreds of
>> times over the years but picked up today only because it DIDN'T
>> have a cover and the disc, in just a paper sleeve, looked a bit unusual.
>
> Design?????!!!!!  That schlock grocery store label???  You have GOT to
> be kidding.
> Now, just when do we see the "design" on side two of the Design record?
> Also, it turns out that George Garabedian also put out two volumes of
> albums with this title on Mark 56 for Phillips 66 gasoline with a
> different cover.  George did a bunch of picture discs, so maybe this is
> the connection.  And I see two different rear covers of the Design LP.
> None of the places with copies mention anything GOOD about the disc
> itself.

Obviously, a record titled "Tiajuana Christmas" by a so-called "Border
Brass" SHOULD have caught the excited attention of Herb Alpert's
"hired LEGAL hands!"

Actually, I once LONG ago acquired (long story) a Design LP which
contained music from (near as I could tell) "hotel bands" of the early
thirties. I know that at least SOME of the tracks thereon were NOT
from the 78rpm records (mostly ARC) of the songs! Now, I hope
against hope that I can acquire another copy of the LP, just to do a
bit more comparing and research...!

I'm guessing that the LP tracks were taken from transcription versions
of the tunes...I KNOW in at least a couple of cases they were NOT
from the ARC 78 issues (audibly different!)...?!

Steven C. Barr