[78-L] Interesting article about remastering and sound restoration for the Mosaic's Artie Shaw Box Set

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Nov 20 14:51:18 PST 2009

I've posted several corrections to the interview:

"Several corrections to Andres Meyer.  When he likens the matrix number
of a recording to the Dewey Decimal number of a book he has
misunderstood what the Dewey number is.  It only identifies the category
of the book, not the book.  Thousands and thousands of books can have
the same number. This would mean that every jazz record could have the
same number because most every jazz book has the same DDN with slight
modifications to whether it is a history, biography, discography, etc.

?He is also wrong when he describes the electroplating process as
"submerge the wax disc and a metal disc in a chemical bath."  The metal
is part of the liquid chemical bath, not in disc form.  The metal
molecules are formed into a disc only when they adhere to the surface of
the wax disc.  They do not start with a metal disc.

"There is a photo error at the description of recording on wax which is
softened.  The photo shows the creation of a "Flow Coat" which is
melting a layer of wax onto a heated metal plate.  That is a different
process than what he describes, which is recording on a thick solid wex
platter.  Victor was using BOTH of those different systems at that time,
as well as also using lacquer coated discs."

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>