[78-L] NBC Documentary Recording FDR set

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 18 21:34:11 PST 2009

From: "Tyrone Settlemier" <talk78s.settlemier at sbcglobal.net>
>> Funnier, I acquired a copy of "The Quick and the Dead"
>> (Vol. 2 only) at the same time as the FDR sets....
>> I'd never seen this set before. Did it get much promotion?
>> Anyway, my kids thought it was cool.   Tyrone

> I've had the sets 3 times so far..with spines, but loose. I've also
> had this set on 16-inch 33RPM pressings, which may be the original
> format. But I've never seen a booklet for it! Hint, hint. dl

NBC sold the FDR sets directly, initially from an announcement in a
monthly or quarterly newsletter they had in the 40s.  They were
something like $15 for the pair.  They seem to show up often enough,
much more than The Quick and the Dead despite the star appeal of Bob
Hope.  I don't remember if I have the FDR set booklet. As for the
16-inch pressings, they obviously would be just for broadcast insiders
but they would certainly be impractical for their home use.  The 78 sets
were meant for the general public as well as insiders.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com