[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 19:03:46 PST 2009

On the subject of recording material:can anyone shed some light for me on a substance
called "Vitrolac".I have some circa 1933 long playing 10 inch recordings.RCA called them
Electrical Transcriptions.I once saw some ETs in an antique store in Winston,Oregon;what
I saw was one that was a disc that was by a symphony orchestra recording under the aus-
pices of either the Civilian Conservation Corps or the Works Progress Administration.Also,
in a book I had read on the history of Atlantic Records,by Charles Green,the Phillipsburg,
New Jersey based National Records(owned by one Al Green)got into the record business
by furnishing discs that were made out of some conglomeration by a National employee
to other companies-until Green decided to cash in on the AFM recording ban by agreeing
to the AFM's terms of recording royalties.He lasted until about 1951 but had a rather imp-
ressive roster which included Big Joe Turner,Pete Johnson,Billy Eckstine and Eileen Bar-
ton who had a hit recording of If I Knew You Were Coming(I'd Have Baked a Cake).Nation-
al's first A&R man was Herb Abramson who helped Ahmet Ertugen start Atlantic in 1947.