[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 17 17:13:46 PST 2009

Perhaps Don meant blue label?  Assuming that we are talking about the
1906 Marconi Velvet-Tone Columbia pressings, the surfaces are indeed
black and with the exception of Martha's Spanish discs were
single-sided, with the back side having a large info label surrounded by
a cross-hatch pattern that probably was meant to grab onto the turntable
felt.  They obviously differ from regular Columbia laminated pressings
in that they are only 3-ply rather than 5 ply, not having the thick
center core and only one paper layer instead of two.  But I don't think
the surfaces are the same material as the regular laminated surfaces.
Considering the edge chips and flakes on regular laminated discs, I
don't think the regular surfaces are as soft and pliable as the
Marconi's.  They could be celluloid or a mixture of celluloid and
shellac without filler.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com