[78-L] Victor 27485, the Sidney Bechet 'one man band' record.

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Mon Nov 16 09:16:09 PST 2009

It was mentioned in the liner notes of a Victor LP (maybe the LPV "Blues of Bechet") that Leonard Joy had noticed Bechet working things out on the piano before recording sessions and had the idea that this technical gimmick would attract some attention and generate sales. It didn't. LPV 510 has an alternate take of The Sheik of Araby. I've never bothered to figure out if it's different from top to bottom or just a couple of the last instruments added. All of the early '40's Victors that I've seen by the Feetwarmers had swing classic labels.
 DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com