[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

John Maeder appywander at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:44:16 PST 2009

Edison's chemists produced a substance nearly identical to Bakelite (which was developed by Leo Bakeland just a few miles away and practically at the same time) that Edison named 'Condensite'.  Both are phenolic resins derived from coal tar using phenolic acid ('phenol') as a solvent.  The surfaces of Edison's 'Diamond Disc' records were made from this substance and comprised the playing surface. The Condensite was laminated to the record core, the core being composed of a mixture of wood flour (finely ground sawdust), hide glue as a binder, and later, clay, to resist moisture absorbtion.  For a time, a thin layer of rubber was between the core and the surface, but this proved prone to delaminating and use was discontinued. During WWI, Edison's supply of phenol feom Germany's Bayer Pharaceutical was cut off due to Britain's naval blockade, so Edison began manufacturing his own.  Within a short time, his company was supplying phenol to all the allied countries.  However, his phenol was not as refined as Bayer's, consequently Diamond Discs produced during the WWI period have noisier surfaces than earlier and later examples.

The wiki articles are also incorrect in saying that the records were produced by "the Edison Electric Co".  Not true!  They were produced by Thomas A. Edison, Inc. and many were marked "A Product Of The Edison Laboratories" on the label.  Someone needs to edit the wiki articles!