[78-L] FW: [ARSCLIST] Roland Hayes (was 1935 unpublished RCA

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Wed Nov 11 19:54:59 PST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST at loc.gov]On Behalf Of Thomas Stern
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:55 PM
To: ARSCLIST at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-L] Roland Hayes (was 1935 unpublished RCA

Below is a summary of the Roland Hayes recordings.
  Seems like the Smithsonian or Pelican were the most likely candidates....perhaps there
is a release we have overlooked.
  Steve Fassett seems to have been closely involved with the modern Hayes recordings, having
been responsible for getting Hayes to record for Vanguard, and having made other recordings - where are
his master tapes now????
  Was he connected to Telavix (which recorded the ANGEL MO' 78s, and the A440/HERITAGE LP) ???
I am very eager to know more about the proposed 3-record project.
  The summary below is barebones brief - the full details will be posted to 78L and ARSC lists when
some of the remaining questions are resolved.
  If anyone knows of any recordings we have missed, please provide details.
  Also needed:  discographic details for the Smithsonian CD, scan of notes for the Pelican LP.
  Thanks!
Best wishes, Thomas.

BRIEF Summary of Roland Hayes Recordings
1912 EDISON Blue Amberol  9 cylinders
1916-18  COLUMBIA "Personal Record" (8 sides)
1921 HMV 5 sides - destroyed
1922-23  VOCALION  London recordings, issued in England and US (6 sides)
Spring 1936  RCA Victor test recordings (3 sides)
1939-1942  COLUMBIA (23 sides)
1940/04/07  NBC BROADCAST - Booker T. Washington Tribute
1940/12/21  LIBRARY of CONGRESS Coolidge Auditorium concert
1944/02/26  BSO BROADCAST - Gretchaninov: Ecumenical Mass
1947-47  ANGEL MO' 78s (12 sides, 2 issued)  TELAVIX
1953  A440 LP  TELAVIX
1956 HERITAGE - REISSUE of A440 LP
1954-56  VANGUARD (5 LP's)  2 reissued on CD
1962  CARNEGIE HALL concert (unissued)
1967  VERITAS LP (from Columbia 78s)
1983  PELICAN LP (concert and studio recordings 1955, 1957 & 1959)
1994  SMITHSONIAN COLLECTION  CD (1939-1965 recordings)