[78-L] Collectors and 'hoarders'

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Nov 11 08:22:56 PST 2009

Very well said. I would hate to be labeled a hoarder. I have become very selective in my collecting as I got into my 50s. I consider my library a sanctuary, a place to escape. I listen to what I want to when I want to (family considerations allowed). Everything is in its place - labeled, filed, indexed, and databased on the computer. I can find any record within 60 seconds. I consider my collection to be an archive. I call upon it regularly for a variety of informational purposes. Occasionally, when I have a half-hour or so, I just close myself up in it, grab a beverage, and just enjoy my labors. Most of the collectors I knew in the area have moved on, passed on, or dispensed of their collections, so it's pretty much a solitary practice now, but I've spent the better part of my life amassing my library and I wouldn't be without it. There are records from every part of my life here, and I can relive my childhood, teenhood, young adulthood, or any other time period with music. Other than the sense of smell, I think that music is the most powerful reminder of times past.

Cary Ginell