[78-L] For those married folks, how does your spouse fell about your record collection?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 9 20:14:54 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> At 23:07 09/11/2009, fnarf wrote:
>>one poster exclaiming that he had to run, he just realized he had
>>the equivalent of a 1958 Buick sitting in his attic, right over the
>>bedroom!
>
> Hmmm -- that just made me think. My wife and I are planning to move
> next year -- cross country from east coast USA to west coast Canada.
> Any ideas how I can protect my goodies without a) breaking an axle/
> ruining the clutch etc in my car from the weight, b) entrusting them
> to the mover at Moe Larry & Curly Inc?

Step #1...try and temporarily acquire as many "milk boxes" as you can...!

Then, COMPLETELY fill these boxes with 78's (they will hold about 120
or so 78's). You DON'T want the records to move around in the boxes...
that will result in breakage!

Keep in mind that your car was designed to carry six human adults...or
about 1200 pounds. That is equivalent to 2400 78's; if you own more
than that amount...rent (or buy) a small truck. When I moved to Canada
in 1977, I bought a 1962 Chevrolet pickup for $250 at a farm auction...
just to move all my impedimenta! It made 3-3/4 round trips from
central Illinois to Toronto...then the bearings started to give out, and I
limped back to Illinois. Wound up selling the remains to a chap who
had wrecked his similar truck, so he had a good motor to fit in my
truck's fairly decent body...he gave me $75...!

Steven C. Barr