[78-L] Telling it to the daisies

Bud Black banjobud at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 9 20:08:57 PST 2009

<What's Tot short for?>

Most tots are!

Bud

-------Original Message-------

From: Cary Ginell
Date: 11/09/09 16:23:04
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
Subject: Re: [78-L] Telling it to the daisies

Strictly speaking, nobody recorded for Montgomery Ward. All releases on the
label were licensed deals for releases sold in their mail order catalog, and
 I presume, at their stores - approximately 90% of the releases were from
Victor masters, with minor runs from the Decca catalog, which included
reissues of Gennett/Champion material acquired by Decca in 1935.

Cary Ginell

> From: SDavies at mtroyal.ca
> To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:58:20 -0700
> Subject: [78-L] Telling it to the daisies
>
> ... but it never gets back to you.
>
> Sorry, I have a collection of small questions here.
>
> Thanks, DL, for answering me about Wilf. Carter. He also re-recorded some
tunes for Montgomery Ward. (or else Victor leased them out. How probable
would that be?)

> Still in the category of "it sounded so nice, they recorded it twice"....
>
> Bernie Cummins & his New Yorker Hotel Orch recorded "Telling it to the
daisies" Victor 22408, 1930-apr-16, with Karl Radlach at the piano.
> One day later, 1930-apr-17, Karl Radlach & his Orch recorded it for the
generic disc pool, resulting in Banner 669 and Conqueror 7535.
> Victor can't have been very happy about that, right?
>
> My copy is from the U.K. Imperial label. It's backed by Lou Gold & his
Orch "Swingin' in a hammock". This tune was co-composed by Tot Seymour. What
s Tot short for?