[78-L] Telling it to the daisies

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 9 19:32:52 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <SDavies at mtroyal.ca>
> ... but it never gets back to you.
>    Sorry, I have a collection of small questions here.
>    Thanks, DL, for answering me about Wilf. Carter.  He also re-recorded
> some tunes for Montgomery Ward. (or else Victor leased them out.  How
> probable would that be?)
.>    Still in the category of "it sounded so nice, they recorded it
twice"....
>    Bernie Cummins & his New Yorker Hotel Orch recorded "Telling it to the
> daisies" Victor 22408, 1930-apr-16, with Karl Radlach at the piano.
>    One day later, 1930-apr-17, Karl Radlach & his Orch recorded it for the
> generic disc pool, resulting in Banner 669 and Conqueror 7535.
>    Victor can't have been very happy about that, right?
>    My copy is from the U.K. Imperial label.  It's backed by Lou Gold & his
> Orch "Swingin' in a hammock".  This tune was co-composed by Tot Seymour.
> What's Tot short for?

It was standard practice in the record industry, until the "swing era," for
all (or nearly all) of the
record companies to issue all the songs they assumed would sell! Victor
wouldn't have been in
any way unhappy about the tune appearing on ARC...it simply confirmed that
the tune would
probably sell! I'm not absolutely sure, but I think "Daisies" was also cut
for VTM(C) by Fred
Culley...?!

Steven C. Barr