[78-L] Phil Harris/Andy Razaf

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Nov 9 11:59:13 PST 2009

Ken wrote about That's What I Like About The South:

> Perhaps he [Harris] did contribute something to the lyrics or music.  Or
> maybe
> his celebrity status was seen as a way to boost sales.  I've read that
> some question the legitimacy of Al Jolson's composer credit on some
> songs suggesting that he forced his way in because of his celebrity
> status.
>
> -- Ken

There seem to be plenty of cases where a bandleader,  promoter, star,  etc.
was able to add his name to song credits (Ben Bernie,  Abe Lyman,  Irving
Mills,  etc.) but I've never seen a case where the credit actually seems to
change...the labels on the two Phil Harris records give "Harris" as the only
song writing credit.  But  I can't find any current reference on line which
gives Harris any credit at all (earned or otherwise) .

I know the tune was covered by other bands,  including Bob Wills.  I'd be
curious as to the composer credit on some of those other records,  esp.  the
earlier ones.

Taylor