[78-L] saving an album

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 7 08:27:40 PST 2009

For those of us with large collections, it's probably going to be a matter of
"all of the above"..many album sets come to us minus their albums, either
because libraries discarded them in the first place (the CBC always did this)
or institutions did likewise, then culled their collections. The Carnegie
Collections never used the original albums, as far as I know, but provided the
discs combined with other sets in 12-pocket albums. Ironic, since they also
forced the record companies to use their best shellac and kept many recordings
in print long after their useful store life.

This past summer, a flash rain soaked my basement floor. I'm still finding
piles of albums (LP and 78) where I thought the moisture hadn't reached, and
naturally these are showing up with mold and other crud. 78s in generic sleeves
are generally fine (wash the disc, toss the sleeve)..lacquers aren't doing so
well (pimpling, and probably worse to come). LP jackets are buckling even after
being wiped (try "409 Wipes") but vinyl discs clean up just fine. 78 albums,
the discs clean up fine, the album is a tosser unless there's art work or liner
notes I want to keep, so if the album isn't too badly buckled (to the point
where reinserting the records might cause the re-stiffened cover to break them)
I'll do the best cleaning I can and reinsert the discs with thin paper sleeves
(the very lightest from Bags Unlimited..or the ones Tom Hawthorn used to use
which you can't obtain because I bought all his leftovers). Otherwise, I'll
shelve the discs in good sleeves and keep the album elsewhere.

dl