[78-L] Bert 'n' Eddie

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 18:28:39 PST 2009

Art,

There is an article that Cantor wrote after Bert Williams died where Eddie
told of his friendship with Williams. I've seen it a few times.

The story I remember is that Actor's Equity called a strike in 1919 and no
one bothered to tell Williams. Bert was getting his makeup together when
Cantor saw him and told him that there was to be no show that night. Cantor
said it was incredibly sad that one of the biggest stars of the show was
treated so shabbily because of his race.

Jeff Sultanof