[78-L] Happy 100th, Johnny Mercer

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 07:19:27 PST 2009

Jeff Austin wrote:
Part of what made Mercer's Capitols so much fun was his ability to do
pretty much as he wished in terms of material.  Who knows what propelled
him to make his early side of "They Didn't Believe Me," other than his
regard for the song, which didn't have much currency at that moment.  I
was glad to see that one of my favorites, "On The Nodaway Road," which
has much the feel of a Willard Robison song, finally made it to a recent
CD issue on DRG.  I don't think that "Missouri Walking Preacher," which
was Robison's, has ever shown up in any form beyond its first issue.

One thing that was a little surprising, in the context of the
documentary, was the attention given Glenn Wallachs.  My understanding
had been that his primary allure to Mercer and DeSylva was based on
having access to a significant quality of high-quality shellac.

If there is any single question I have regarding Mercer and Capitol
Records, it would be why Mercer never opted to throw a bone to Mildred
Bailey during the latter part of her life.  The label's early embrace of
Martha Tilton always struck me as a little misguided, with no disrespect
intended toward Her Liltin'-ness.  Mercer was outspoken in his regard
for Bailey (she certainly helped put any number of his songs on the
map), and Decca never seemed quite the right home for her in the early
'40s.  Capitol, no doubt due to Mercer's presence, always seemed to
allow its artists room for a little edginess and even silliness that
might have allowed Mildred to flourish in way she couldn't quite on
other labels.

This, btw, is my first posting to this list.  I don't know why I have
not joined prior to now, but it seems like a interesting group of
extremely knowledgeable people.
Interesting about Mildred. I suspect she may have been too unreliable to
hire on a regular basis. She didn't do too much commercial recording
during the 40s, and much of it was with "safe" accompaniments"--no big
names. At least Capitol had Kay Starr and Ella Mae Morse.

I have "Missouri Walking Preacher" by Ray McKinley on RCA Victor
20-3377, another unreissued version.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4579 (20091106) __________

http://www.eset.com