[78-L] swing motif

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 06:54:45 PST 2009

Now that I can post again I have a few pent up questions that must be
asked. This is #1. This is for the swing collectors.

There's a little rhythmic motif that is probably the one lick most
associated with swing music: quarter note, followed by dotted eighth &
sixteenth, repeating over and over. Typically on a high hat. Hear the
opening of Goodman's Bach Goes to Town. But it could be bass drum also,
like stripper music.

Who wrote this? Somebody had to write it, discover it, channel it,
whatever.

When? I am reasonably certain it was not known in the time of Mozart of
Schubert. Beethoven didn't use it in any of his dance music. (wink)

What is the earliest recorded instance of the swing motif?

joe salerno