[78-L] Blue label Monkey Ward/Varsity Royale catalogue

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Wed Nov 4 23:53:53 PST 2009

At 09:46 PM 11/4/2009, you wrote:
> >> If you're talking about vinyl, do you mean Royale LPs? Man,
> those were awful!
> >> They were also ridiculously cheap, and my dad (raised in the
> >> Depression) knew a
> >> wholesaler, so he bought a lot of the things. The ones that were
> relabelled
> >> "Allegro Elite" were much quieter..bordering on styrene in the US,
> >> well pressed
> >> for a time by Sparton in Canada. At the same time, their 45s
> were very quiet.
> >>
> >> dl
> >
> > Yes I did mean Royale LP's Those & the few Varsity LP's I own have
> > quite a bit of surface noise in them like low quality or regrind
> > vinyl was used to press them. Of course I have no idea which plant
> > pressed any of them. Not that it really matters anyway......
> >
> > _____________________________________
>
>I'm sure different plants were used at different times. The first
>Varsity LP I
>ever owned (parts of the Nutcracker Suite) was actually on fairly quiet
>material with a rounded edge and large labels..most Varsity LPs had small
>labels, an edge you could decapitate somebody with, and who knows
>what for the
>compound. Royales had large labels and noisy surfaces.

Both labels are noisy in my listening of the few I have found used.

>  And some of the best sounding
>Varsity reissues are on 45s, pressed on high quality red vinyl. Go figure.
>
>dl

Maybe RCA gave a good deal on leftover red vinyl for those discs?
I've got a 45 RPM Toscaninni  symphony set that really sounds great &
it's on red vinyl.....

What I wonder is what did RCA do with the rest of the colors after
they switched everything on 45's to black vinyl? Use up the colored
stock before switching to black or just stop using it & toss the
coloring agents away?