[78-L] Happy 100th, Johnny Mercer

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Nov 4 22:44:59 PST 2009

Just finished watching a splendid 90-minute documentary on Johnny Mercer that was produced by Clint Eastwood. An amazingly good job, well-annotated, terrific video clips, and a fitting tribute to one of the most prolific and stylish lyricists of the century. Mercer's 100th birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so it would behoove every one of us to pull out a Mercer record (or one on Capitol at least) and play it. Wouldn't be hard to find one, either.

Funny - coincidentally, I had just found a copy of Mercer's first solo record - a 1934 pairing on Decca 142 of "Lord, I Give You My Children" (a relative of "Mama Don't Allow" as he introduces members of his band: Jack Teagarden, Dick McDonough, Sterling Bose) backed with "The Bathtub Ran Over Again!" Mercer did a few vocals prior to that with the Whiteman and Dorsey Bros. orchestras, but this was his first disc done under his own name.

Cary Ginell

Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009