[78-L] Blue label Monkey Ward/Varsity Royale catalogue

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Nov 4 18:58:33 PST 2009

I definately agree with Lennick's description of Royale LPs, but want to
add something about Varsity LPs.  I've called these labels "Grocery
Store" labels because they were generally available on rotatable wire
racks in non-record stores.  I remember my father buying the Jan Peerce
Varsity at Food Fair.  I've heard various descriptions of the contents
of the dull-surfaced NOISY plastic these were pressed on, and it has
been hinted that Eli the O might have used shellac as an extender to
vinyl.  Since my experience with Varsity had been with these noisy LPs,
I noted with surprise on the list a couple of years ago when I found
some of my first Varsity 78 and that they were good laminated pressings.
 Astonishing that the 78s were pressed on such good stuff and the LPs on
such crap!

Oh, and by the way (since I started this thread) the catalog I discussed
does not have the label pictures on the cover in blue, as I think David
Diehl seemed to indicate.  They are in the same black ink as the rest of
the cover and catalog.  And I have never known that there also were
Monkey Ward records with red labels as Steve Barr discussed.  Nifty.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com