[78-L] Blue label Monkey Ward/Varsity Royale catalogue

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 4 14:37:09 PST 2009

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> At 02:03 PM 11/4/2009, you wrote:
>> Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>>> Are they (the Royale/MW dubs) good performances & how is the
>> sound quality since they are dubs?
>>
>> I'm thinking variable..there's a Royale issue (564) of the Kleiber
>> "Iphigenie"
>> Overture that practically runs onto the label and is missing the
>> final notes on
>> side one. "Badly mastered from original with noisy surfaces", it says on my
>> tape copy.
>>
>> dl
>
> I've found Royale classical records to be less than spectacular in
> both performance & sound quality. In other words, good but I've heard
> better. What I wonder is which pressing plant pressed Royale as the
> vinyl used is not great quality either......

If you're talking about vinyl, do you mean Royale LPs? Man, those were awful!
They were also ridiculously cheap, and my dad (raised in the Depression) knew a
wholesaler, so he bought a lot of the things. The ones that were relabelled
"Allegro Elite" were much quieter..bordering on styrene in the US, well pressed
for a time by Sparton in Canada. At the same time, their 45s were very quiet.