[78-L] Blue label Monkey Ward/Varsity Royale catalogue

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 4 07:51:51 PST 2009

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> At 10:25 PM 11/3/2009, you wrote:
>> A few years back, I acquired a dozen or so red-label Varsity-sourced
>> Montgomery
>> Ward 12" classical records at our annual public library book sale! Never
>> have tried
>> to trace the source(s) of them, though...!
>>
>> Steven C. Barr
>
> Anything good on them? How were the performances & the sound quality?
> Any complete works on those records?

I have a few 12" red label MWs .. dubbed from Telefunkens, as were many of
Obie's classical issues. I think they even credit the conductors, Erich Kleiber
or Leo Blech.

Oberstein masters turn up on all sorts of other labels, and some of them are
just straight master pressings from Victor and Columbia. I have a Frankie Carle
album issued anonymously and a collection of marches ex HMV, both sold in
Firestone Tire Stores on the Philharmonic label..all master pressings.