[78-L] 78 rpm postcards

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 3 22:57:32 PST 2009

From: "Maria Fletcher" <riafletcher at gmail.com>

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> A long time ago I had a postcard with a clear vinyl disc stapled to it,
> advertising the Rochester Times-Union. Played just fine. Acoustical
> recording, if I'm not mistaken.  dl

Probably Advertisers Recording Service or something like this.  They are
celluloid, not vinyl. If these are the ones Maria saw, she should get
them.  Remember, the record is stapled to the card.  This was the
company which made the recording of FDR at the 1924 Demo Conv.  But if
the record is imprinted on the center and do not show a design thru
them, these sound like Tuck Cards.  If the picture shows thru the
celluloid grooved surface, they are probably tourist cards that were
made by many companies in many countries.  They were very popular in
Eastern Europe in the 50s, especially Poland.  Sometimes the recording
is related to the picture, but often they are not.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com