[78-L] Records - LOTS - in Westbury NY on Saturday

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Nov 3 21:58:44 PST 2009

Your luck and descriptions of the sales out in Long Island sounds much
like it was in the Evanston Illinois area back when I was at
Northwestern between 68 and 72.  In addition to the garage sales, there
were Estate Sales, and many of those were at the old Victorian mansions
lining the North Shore from northern Chicago thru Wilmette and Winnetka.
 Many of the old families were dying out and many had gotten records in
their youth back in the early century and were living in the same house
all these years.  The Evanston News would come out on Thursday morning
and although I am not now nor have ever been a morning person, my wife
(who IS a morning person) was a nurse at Evanston Hospital and I often
had to drive her to work by 7 AM.  So I'd drop her off, get a paper, map
out the sales for Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday, and hit the road.  Then
I'd either get to my classes, or take a nap when finished.  But that
area was a gold mine back then.  I only wish I were not just a starving
grad student and had some real money to spend!!  I don't find much stuff
our here in Brooklyn when visiting Leah or in my part of Kentucky, but
there had been some good country stuff in Kentucky when I got there in
the late 70s.  Not now.  The old folks are already gone.  In Brooklyn,
apartments are too small and prices to high -- things apparently are
different in Long Island.  But it does help to get out early, and as I
said, I am not a morning person.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com