[78-L] Blue label Monkey Ward/Varsity Royale catalogue

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Nov 3 13:12:21 PST 2009

Varsity 8064 by Jess Stacy was recd 26 Sep 1939 and poss issued Oct/Nov 1939.
Then it seems Aug 1939 is rather early for this cat. when it lists 8062,
or did the Aug 39 cat list 8062 as a Sep 39 issue, to be released?
Or was there a break, since the Stacy was mx 1 in a new series?
Odd that much later Varsity had another 8000 series (from Wright Rec Co); black labels).

Han Enderman
===
>>> I picked up a Montgomery Ward record with a rich dark
blue label, M-1046 Hallelujah Chorus and Largo (both by Handel) played
by the Montgomery Ward Band.
As it happens, I also bought an undated
"A Complete Catalogue of Varsity and Royale Records".  The color and
typography of the label reminded me of related labels such as Hits and
John Ryan Records, and sure enough, this coupling shows up as Royale
1714 by the H.M. Scots Guard Band, also available in album Set No. 19,
Band Classics.  The matrix numbers are written in tiny numbering but are
scratched out.  Anybody know the true source of the recordings, what the
real matrix numbers are, and dates?

I'm also interested in dating the catalog. The second half are numericals.
Royale 12-inch $1.25 thru 109, Royale 12-inch $1.00 thru 565,
Royale 10-inch 75 cents thru 1774, Varsity 10-inch Hill Billy thru 5050,
Varsity 10-inch Race thru 6015, Varsity 10-inch Domestic & Foreign
thru 7011, and Varsity 10-inch Popular thru 8062.

Mike Biel
---
It would have to be 1939..the Harry James Varsity sides start at 8194, recorded
c. February 1940. The lowest Jan Peerce Royale number is 1781, late 1939 per
Rust (I haven't checked Pinta's discography).
dl
---
I have a Frank Trumbauer on Monkey Ward that is also this color. They are 1939 recordings.
---
The white catalog with blue line drawings of Varsity and Royale must have been released in August 1939 and contains only reissues of Crown, Gennett and various European recordings. I don't have mx. numbers for 1714 but it is adjacent to some things with AGH prefixes which remain untraced.
DJD
<<<