[78-L] "Willie the weeper" & co.

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Tue Nov 3 09:27:48 PST 2009

No sooner do I close one difficult cataloguing entry than another pops up.

"Willie the Weeper" (1927) is credited to Grant Rymal, Marty Bloom & either
Will or Walter Melrose.  Bloom partnered in a publishing business with
brothers Walter and Lester Melrose.

I wondered if "Will" was a nickname for Walter, or was Will a third
Melrose, or was the Internet just wrong, again?  ASCAP credits Walter, so
that's good enough for me.

I hadn't realized that Willie preceded "Minnie the Moocher" (1931).  The
genre continued with "Winnie the Wailer" (1933), and I don't know how many
others.

Someone should create a mini-jazz opera by combining the different
parodies, sequels etc in this vein.  Unless there is no variation in the
tunes.  That would be tedious.

- Stephen D
in Calgary

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or