[78-L] Martin Cayla - Le Soleil disques à saphir

goldenbough at arcor.de goldenbough at arcor.de
Thu Oct 29 20:44:06 PDT 2009

.
In Martin Cayla's biography (''Rue du Faubourg sans Martin'') there almost no information about the
label and the records. It focuses on his live appearances and activities to promote auvergnat folklore.

First I should mention that the numbering on Cayla's lateral discs is 'odd numbers only'.
It seems that he started with the 'La Bouree' label, of which I have 101 to 113. There were also
115 and 117, but these were recitations, poems, not music.

Then he started the 'Le Soleil' label at no. 1. The highest number that I have is 469.
In the three 'Le Soleil' catalogs that I have, the highest number is 409, but I have 2 more catalogs
coming in the mail, so let's see what they bring in information.

The only 'Le Soleil Disques a Saphir' that I have are even numbers, of course: 2,   4,   16,  18,  44,  48.
And then there is Martin Cayla also on 'Disque Henry a Saphir' (Nos. 462 and 464 here, both dated 16 Sept. 1927)
These hill-and-dale discs are all about 11.5'' in size.

Cayla was also on Columbia and Pathe X98.000 series (lateral).

Sony France has recently issued a CD with some 'Le Soleil' tracks by Martin Cayla. (See eBay 130335047227)

So I assume that the death of Madame Simone (his mistress who held the song copyrights) solved the problems
with the heirs of widow Mme Cayla who had inherited the rights to the recordings. The tension between the two
had been for decades the reason why nothing could be re-issued.

I visited Martin Cayla's grave in Paris in the 1990's when his shop was still held by Mme Simone. Last time I visted
her in her shop was in 2003. Now there is a motorbike shop in the premises  33, rue du Faubourg St.Martin.

Benno

Jetzt NEU: Do it youself E-Cards bei Arcor.de!
Stellen Sie Ihr eigenes Unikat zusammen und machen Sie dem Empfänger eine ganz persönliche Freude!
E-Card Marke Eigenbau: HIER KLICKEN: http://www.arcor.de/rd/footer.ecard