[78-L] Rudy Vallee writes about SEX! SEX! SEX!

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Oct 29 11:44:16 PDT 2009

Apologies in advance to those of you who have already heard all or most of
this.

As I've mentioned here before,  I  was the agent for the Thousand Oaks
Library for the purchase of the Vallee archive.   My first visit to the
Vallee home was in the company of the Vallee's agent,  the library director,
and members of the library foundation.   That would have been less than a
year before Vallee died.  The TO Library collection of American radio and
television history was only a year or so old at the time,  but I'd already
been able to supply them with a lot of worthwhile material,  including
books,  scripts,  letters,  documents and a variety of ephemera.

We were greeted by Mrs. Vallee and ushered into the living room.  Their
Spanish-style house was way,  way up in the Hollywood Hills,  and at one
time been owned by Ann Harding.   Rudy's personal archive and memorabilia
about his life and career were housed in a sub-building which was underneath
a tennis court,  but we had to wait for Mr. Vallee to make his appearance,
which he did,  after we'd been served bad California "Champagne"  over ice,
along with a tray of very strange nachos.

He wasn't drunk unless,  as Jason suggested,  he was drunk on his own
fantasies about himself and his future.  I could (and have) told hours and
hours of stories about my experience with him,  the house,  and (after his
death) with the purchase of the archive,  but  I'll say that the house
seemed to be fairly clean although he was not...or maybe it just "Depends"
on what you think is clean.

He "entertained" us with a non-stop monologue about his life,  mostly
focused on the women he'd "known" both in and outside of marriage..he seemed
very worried about the fact that so many people thought he'd had sex with a
certain very well know singer and film actress while she was singing with
his band in the early 30s...no,  he'd not had sex with her until 1937 and we
got a very detailed description of the circumstanced and the experience
itself.

I should note that the audience for this little ramble included two women
from the library foundation,  as well as Mrs. Vallee.

We did get a tour of the archive which was,  and is,  amazing in its breadth
and depth...and quantity.    But Vallee himself was convinced that the house
AND the archive should be sold as a unit,  and turned into a museum
dedicated to his greatness...all for a mere 10 million dollars.  He actually
told us that a rich Arab oil man was planning to make the purchase...talk
about being stranded on Fantasy Island.

Late in the afternoon, after about an hour of lighting-fast and non-stop
jabber,   he finally paused to take a breath land told us that  he would now
give us all a little show.  Most of the people from the library took this a
cue to flee,  and they  made apologies and excuses about having to be
somewhere else,  leaving me and one other person to be the goats and sit
through the depressing little performance.   It was damned depressing,  let
me tell you.

The only question I asked him was whether or not he had played saxophone on
any of his commercial records,  and he said no.

Vallee died less than a year later...Mrs. Vallee was back in touch with her
agent within a week or so of his death,  and we eventually were able to make
a deal which is why the stuff is now at Thousand Oaks.  I have pleasant
memories about most all of it,  with the exception of  Mrs. Vallee,  but
this is not the place to discuss that.

Just one more note,  pertaining to the original post today about Vallee.
Late in life he became convinced that he had been betrayed and dishonored by
just about everyone he'd ever known...and he wrote crude and angry letters
to many of these poor folks,  expressing his displeasure.  He also made
multiple copies of all of them,  and I recall seeing no less than forty
copies of a nasty multi-page letter he wrote to Dorothy Lamour...and at
least a dozen copies of her hurt and bewildered and polite reply to him.

Taylor