[78-L] Billy Murray At Holy Rood Cemetery---Reply From Authorities

John Maeder appywander at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:57:50 PDT 2009

Well, I'm an atheist, so I have no dog in the religious hunt.  However, it is more logical as an atheist for me to visit someone's mortal remains than worry about their soul's destination.  Let us remove ourselves from any pre-conceived or indoctrinated notions for a moment here.  Let's just imagine that in one year, five years, ten years, fifty years, one hundred years -- whatever -- that a couple happen to stop by the Holy Rood cemetery for a romantic walk, or to appreciatre the beauty or history of the place and encounter Billy's memorial that explains who he was and what he did. Perhaps you and Al do not ponder such things but I think it has been going on for a while in human history:

In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,

Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws

The only shadow that the Desert knows:

"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,

"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows

"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,

Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose

The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express

Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness

Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,

He meets some fragments huge, and stops to guess

What powerful but unrecorded race

Once dwelt in that annihilated place.

This isn't so much for people who know about Billy Murray, but more for those that don't.  It is our duty as possesors of knowledge of Billy Murray to share it, and I think a marker in a cemetery is as fitting as anything.

John