[78-L] Titan transcription, was Getting needled

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 28 10:55:05 PDT 2009

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas about proper stylus for
my new Titan transcription.  First, some details about the record:

It's 12",  shellac.  Large green label with black printing,  It is not
vertical,  but plays inside out.  There are three tracks on each side,  but
they don't flow from one to the next.  You have to bump the tone arm or pick
it up and move it from the end of one to the start of the next.

Both sides are labeled:  "STUDIO MUSIC IN RHYTHM."  Some prior
owner/collector has indicated that one side is by the Williams-Walsh
Orchestra,  and the other by the Beal & Taylor Orchestra.  Collector also
noted that Clancy Hayes played guitar and sang with Beal & Taylor.  I
thought that was interesting as I didn't know anything about his activities
before the Dixie revival stuff in the 40s and 50s.

Here are the label details:

Series R No. 3 [noted as the Beal & Taylor Orch.] Here Come The British /
Moon Glow / Moon Over My Shoulder.

Series R  No. 4 [noted as Williams-Walsh Orch.]  I Still Do / Object of My
Affection / Wild Honey.

All six tracks are wonderful...hard to pick out the best of them,  maybe
Moon Glow on the one side and I Still Do on the other (usually the song is
credited as "And I Still Do").

The Williams-Walsh tracks are much punchier than the sides they did for
Decca around the same time...Jim Walsh's distinctive trombone is quite clear
and he's in a pretty jazzy mode here.

I know nothing about the Beal & Taylor Orch.  Anyone have any info?  It's as
good a period version of Moon Glow as I've heard.

Thanks again to all from

Taylor