[78-L] Soupy Sales: One of jazz's best friends is gone

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:45:09 PDT 2009

Soupy, Chuck McCann and Sandy Becker were my TV heroes growing up in New
York. Brilliant does not begin to describe the sheer creativity of the shows
they hosted; Sandy was so off-the-wall and surreal. I've managed to get DVDs
of the little that is out there from these shows, specifically to share them
with my son when he is old enough to understand them (he is only 14 months
now).

I remember so clearly Soupy's serial "Philo Kvetch," where he ran around New
York like a maniac. His face was rubber, his expressions would make me laugh
for days. It's such a pity that most of his show is now gone. He was a true
star as far as I'm concerned.

Jeff Sultanof