[78-L] Billy Murray Tribute?!

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Mon Oct 26 17:46:37 PDT 2009

Attitudes toward such things are to some degree cultural.  The great
nineteenth-century urban cemeteries (Mount Auburn, Greenwood, Laurel Hill,
our own Hollywood in Richmond) were specifically designed for people to
visit.  Each was created as a park-like oasis for reflective contemplation
and even recreation. Most folks around here love to visit cemeteries, but,
paraphrasing historian Douglas South Freeman, Virginians are Shintoists when
it comes to ancestors.

Of course, there are other ways to honor someone and provide some historical
context to boot.  I'm sure that Pennsylvania has a historic marker program,
although I don't know the rules.  We've done several music-related markers
for country blues players here in Virginia, as has Mississippi. I wrote one
for Lomax's 1936 session at the Virginia State Farm, and I've been thinking
about proposing one for the Edison recording session in 1909 of Polk Miller
and the Old South Quartette.

Gregg Kimball