[78-L] Soupy Sales: One of jazz's best friends is gone

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Oct 25 19:56:54 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Whaddaya mean in the next decade or so? I'm already aware of two
> substantial
> collections of 78s whose owners have "gone to pursue other endeavours", as
> they
> phrase it when someone is given fifteen minutes to clear his desk before
> Security is called. One collection is in Buffalo and is available to
> anyone
> interested in big band 78s. The other one..no idea what's happening to it
> yet.

Well, as I read this, there are 78 collectors who DON'T have the neccesary
storage to keep their shellac archives?! Fortunately, I have substantial
storage
space (until my half-vast shellac archive overwhelms my c.1869 house...?!).
Meanwhile, we "78-ophiles" as we fall from favour have large "stashes" of
shellac 78's?!

Sadly, reality decrees that many (most?!) of us will "go see Jesus" in not
too many years...leaving hordes/hoards of shellac 78's to a yet-unknown
recipient...?!

Is 78-collecting becoming obsolete? Shall we lose all the music of past
decades, in favor of the "music" of the last few years?!

FEH!!

Steven C. Barr