[78-L] Can vinyl be unwarped?

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 11:28:56 PDT 2009

From: Robert M. Bratcher Jr. <bratcher at pdq.net>
Subject: [78-L] Can vinyl be unwarped?
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at 78online.com>
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 1:24 AM

I realize this is not for a 78 rpm disc (it's a Kim Clement gospel LP
from 1983) however the record is badly dished so that I can't play it
well on the outer track of the first side. My question is can a vinyl
LP be safely returned to flatness in a household kitchen oven between
2 sheets of glass? If so then how can it be done safely? What
temperature should I use? Where would I get the glass to put the
record between? Or is there a better way to unwarp a record? I'm open
to any ideas.....

I have never tried this, but it may work. Maybe someone out there has. Take an old cull vinyl record, super glue your warped vinyl to it, good side up. You may have to put some pressure on it with flat surfaces. Make sire the holes in the center line up. You may need a dry run at first, because super glue is fast setting up. This may give you something you can get to play to put in your computer to process later so you can listen to it. You may need to add a quarter or two to your tone arm. Let us know if this works.