[78-L] Joel Shaw request

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 04:46:00 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Where can I find Joel Shaw or Gene Kardos or "Bob Dickson" doing "Sweet
> Violets"? Aside from the 531 Google links, that is. A few mp3s gladly accepted,
> since one of them might work (RealPlayer is just fine here but WMP just lies
> there).
>
> I presume it's the same band on Victor (as Kardos) and Crown/Varsity (as Shaw,
> reissued as Dick Robertson). Does the second Kardos-Robertson recording have
> more of the naughty lyrics?
>
> dl
++++++++++++++++++++++
This is the "Sweet Violets" saga:

October 23, 1931
Gene Kardos And His Orchestra

70905-1	Sweet Violets	Unissued test pressing exists

70905-2	Sweet Violets	Unissued

November 13, 1931
Gene Kardos And His Orchestra
Add Gene Kardos-v

70905-3	Sweet Violets 	Vic 22863.
CD: The Old Masters MB121/121A

70905-4	Sweet Violets	???

December 18, 1931
Dick Robertson with accordion & tuba or brass bass-1 or Orchestra

70989-1?	Sweet Violets - 1	Vic 23633, BB B-6421 (Bob Dickson—both issues)

January 12, 1932
Joel Shaw And His Orchestra

1630-3,5	Sweet Violets	Crown 3271, Var 8034.
LP: The Old Masters 52.
CD: Alpha Music CD594, The Old Masters MB127 (-5)

The Crown version is the naughty one. Vic 23633 is a small group, tame,
version. That's not to say some of the unissued Victors weren't too. The
TOM LP transfer is superior to the CD, although the latter is taken from
a better copy.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4532 (20091022) __________

http://www.eset.com