[78-L] Gennett questions

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Oct 21 18:15:49 PDT 2009

I just got a copy of this great pair of piano solos:

5750A Vera Guileroff Sleepy Time Gal 85215 - - Feb 1926
5750B Vera Guileroff I'm Sitting On Top Of The World (Just Rolling Along -
Just Rolling Along) 85216

A few questions..

Where was it recorded?  How prolific a recording artist was she (Rust lists
a few and says she was Canadian)?

Also...this is on the old-style blue label but underneath the artist credit
it says "Electrically recorded."  Are there many of these 5700s which are
labeled that way?  IS it in fact electric?  I'm not sure...there is a very
odd sort of fade-out on the second side near the end.  I don't recall ever
seeing one  with those words on the label  and I don't think I have any of
the 5700s on Tyrone's list.  Was this issued at the time of the red label
Gennetts and if so why the old label style?

Thanks for any info.  BTW Vera could really play!

Taylor