[78-L] WNEW label

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 20 19:23:11 PDT 2009

Is this a record for sale or is it a white label pressing with plain
lettering with the title in two lines below the hole?  I saw a pile of
them at Rodgers and Hammerstein Archive years ago.  They have the WNEW
78 collection.  I also have a 8 1/2 x11 color picture I copied out of a
Radio-TV mag recently of Block in his studio in WABC with his turntables
with two Gray arms, a tag saying "ABC Martin Block Special Turntable --
Do Not Remove From This Location".  On the turntable facing the camera
is this record.  You can make out  MAKE BELIEVE BALLROOM THEME  but the
top half of the label is indistinct.

Starting in 1940 his theme was "Make Believe Ballroom Time" recorded by
Glenn Miller with the Four Modernaires.  Prior to that his them was
"Make Believe Ballroom" by Charlie Barnett with the Barnett Modernaires,
BS- 102407-1 Bluebird B-6504 Aug 3, 1936.   When the ASCAP scrike was
looming, Block knew he would lose his theme, so he had a new one
written, took partial writing credit, had Miller record it, but insisted
on having the continuity of the Modernaires on both.  Miller liked them
so much he stole them from Barnett, although John Flower's book notes
they had been with Paul Whiteman.   BS 056479-1, Bluebird  B-10913  Oct
11, 1940.  There is a -2 that  first was on an EP .

The records I recall seeing were Victor master pressings of the Miller
side.  What style is the matrix number and pressing on your copy?  As
for Merle Pitt, the recording he made of the first theme was in 1938.
mx.22316  Vocalion 3959  Jan 18, 1938.  I finally got a copy of it and
his other record from that session, but I am not sure if Block ever used
the record for his broadcast because he only mentioned Barnett and Miller.

If that matrix is indeed from Nov 54, Block had moved to WABC at that
time, taking the program title with him, but WNEW continued to ALSO use
it.  Perhaps the record you have is ANOTHER recording for William B.
Williams to use.  Does it sound like Miller or Barnett?

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com