[78-L] Turntable Setup For Early Acoustic 78s

beststuff4u at frontiernet.net beststuff4u at frontiernet.net
Sun Oct 18 11:42:23 PDT 2009

I currently have a Garrard Model 82 TT with a Shure M91-ED Cartridge with a Shure 2.7 mil stylus. I've learned that in fact I should be using a 4.0 mil stylus for these recordings (1901-1914). The customized 4.0 mil styli available require a Stanton 500 series cartridge.

My dilemna is that I cannot find any information on how to match tonearms with appropriate cartidges.

1. Does anyone know where to find info on tonearm/cartridge compatability?

2. In the event that I cannot use my current TT for these early acoustic recordings, any recommendations based on experience on a new TT in the $300-$500 range? I've seen advertised Numark, Rekokut, and several other names that are new and unfamiliar to me.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sherwin Cerini
beststuff4u at frontiernet.net