[78-L] Okeh & Vocalion issues

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Oct 14 16:45:28 PDT 2009

I wrote about OK label types in Names & Numbers 46 (2008).
There was an existing Vocalion series, started 1933:
25001-25021, continued as 2522-5621.
After 5621 (Rollini), the series was continued with OKeh 05622
by Hoosier Hot Shots.
Repressings of earlier issues from July on got the OK label with the old cat.nr.
Thus the Rollini also exists as OK 5621.
As said by Steven, the 0 on Voc issues was retained on OK. Examples:
Voc 5582 = OK 5582
Voc 05563 = OK 05563.
The earliest 2 Vocalions reissued on OK known to me are:
Voc/OK 02613 by Hunter and Jenkins, and - of course:
Voc/OK 2847 Clyde McCoy: Sugar Blues.
Last issue in the series is OK 6747(ca 6/45).
In the ethnic series, Voc 16004 (1940) is followed by OK 16005 (1941).

Han Enderman
===
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Okay, I understand that in 1940 Okeh and Vocalion were merged (it's a
> lot more complicated than that - I'm simplifying). What consecutive
> issue numbers were used on both labels, if any? And, to be more specific
> than just "1940", what was the timeframe of the issues?

July 1, 1940...I have a copy of a "special record" announcing that the
Vocalion label was becoming the Okeh label, but catalog numbers
wouldn't change. Since most of the "continued" records were either c&w
or "race," they bore the zero prefix used for such issues. By my DG,
numbers were around 5600 at that point!

Steven C. Barr