[78-L] Tatum

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 14 15:11:24 PDT 2009

Hi Taylor!

Certainly, there are moments when technique seems to take over.

He himself once complained that he HAD to play that fast or the
critics would say that he was losing it, HOWEVER, apart from the
speed, he SWINGS all the time and, simultaneously, is inventing new
ideas that were WAY ahead of his time both rhythmically and
harmonically. If you want to hear him at slower speed, get the LP
called God Is In The House. It contains private recordings of late
night playing 'after hours' when he doesn't have to show off.

It's wonderful.

Also, hear his playing on the New York Town Hall concert of 1945 with
a rhythm section of Al Casey-g, Sid Carlett-d and Oscar Pettiford-b.
Sensational!

Art Tatum? Still THE Jazz pianist...even if Duke Ellington was THE
piano player! ;-)

Earl.