[78-L] Art Tatum 100th birthday

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 14 10:46:49 PDT 2009

    Taylor
    I am a musician, and with the exception of the occasional work with a musician that has a contrasting style (eg trumpeters Frankie Newton and the Decca session with the very under rated Joe Thomas) I don't care for him - I also prefer him in a small ensemble than solo for these reasons (the LP's with Webster and Carter are fine as well - as I recall them, but its been decades - I don't collect recordings on Verve, Clef etc). The "After Hours In Harlem" LP/CD is IMHO the best Tatum - esp the two titles with Newton - LOVE that - but even when alone, on these recordings he is more relaxed than usual (just remember it's home recordings not studio, but it is the best of his work for me). Maybe it's like Maynard Ferguson, he does what he does because he can - and most of us can't!