[78-L] I am definitely in the wrong business

Graeme Jaye gj at telefonica.net
Wed Oct 14 07:39:28 PDT 2009

Hi David

On 14/10/2009 you wrote;

DL> The prices were for singles and for LPs that are widely available on eBay for a
DL> fraction of the "restoration" prices.

That may be true, but if you were to add in the cost of a good
restoration job, then I would say the prices were comparable. Of
course, I have no way of knowing if the restoration is decent or not
and worth the price charged. Maybe someone here has used the service
and could comment on that aspect?

DL>  And there seemed to be multiple copies of
DL> most of Moe's albums. Rather strange..and questionable re copyright.

I haven't investigated the site that closely but, if he is selling the
original record plus a restoration of same as a package, then there
would have to be multiple copies available (although I assume the
restoration is the same each time and done from the best original
pressing he had available, that's how I would do it).

He's getting around the copyright question by selling you the original
record together with the restoration. Anyone can have copies of a
record they own.

From his own FAQ:

"Is this legal?

Yes! Copyright law allows for you to have a backup copy for personal
use, as long as you own the source material (the vinyl record).

Can I just buy the CD?

No, sorry. It would be illegal for us to make a CD from a record that
you did not own."

Regards

Graeme Jaye

graemejaye at iname.com

Audio Restoration and Location Sound Recording
http://www.personal-cd.com

Hobby Musician - find some of my stuff here
http://www.indiehitz.net/html/bands/19/