[78-L] James Reese Europe "Hellfighters"

Tim Brooks tbroo2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 16:44:38 PDT 2009

Jeff,
I know some others have weighed in on this, but the two 1996 Europe CD reissues are a classic example of the perils of pitching. It's pretty apparent (IMO) that there was no standard correct speed, and that individual issues differed.

Brad Kay writes in the liner notes to the Memphis Archives CD that he used 83.5 rpm (apparently for most or all of the sides) and cites the reasons why. The IAJRC issue doesn't say, but I compared it with original issues when it came out (I have a turntable with a digital speed readout) and seem to recall finding speeds in the 75-80 range--unfortunately I can't find my notes so don't have exact speeds at hand. You can also compare track timings. "Memphis Blues" runs 2:38 on the MA but 2:56 on the IAJRC - that's about 10% slower. So if MA was using 83.5 then IAJRC was at about 75 rpm.

I checked Europe sides reissued on New World and Folkways LPs years ago and they appear to have been transfered at 80-82 rpm. By way of comparison, I recently read a detailed essay on the speeds
of the Wilbur Sweatman Pathes (1917) which claims their speeds are
between 77-79 rpm.

So bottom line you're on your own. Personally I think mid to upper 70s (IAJRC) is more likely in this case - but what do I know?