[78-L] Lionel Hampton query

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Oct 10 15:57:43 PDT 2009

Don Chichester wrote:
> I picked up a used CD of LH on the Four Star label:  "My Man", KEM Enterprises, Cliffside Park, NJ,  FS-40079.  A nice group of musicians, incl. Lucky Thompson, ts, and Oscar Pettiford, bass.  Can anyone supply the source of this 1994 reissue?
>

> Don Chichester

This is the breakdown of personnel. The whole session has been reissued
recently on Fresh Sound double CD.

Lionel Hampton, Oscar Dennard. p, Oscar Pettiford, b
Look! Four Hands

Hampton changes to vibes; add Gus Johnson, d
Too Much
My Man
Loch Lomond

Add Gordon Family, vcl
Take The ‘A’ Train

Gordon Family out, Hampton changes to marimba
Time For Lyons

Hampton returns to vibes; add Jimmy Cleveland, tb
Summertime

Add Lucky Thompson, ts; Ray Copeland, tp
Over The Rainbow
When You're Smiling
Raindeer
Dark Eyes
Romeo’s Gone Now
Ghost Of A Chance
Undecided

Hampton returns to marimba
What’s Your Hurry*
Lionel Choo-Choo*

Hampton also plays vibes
Deep Purple

Note 1: I’m taking the identification of the Gordon Family on trust,
from writings in the past.

Note 2: *these are different takes of the same tune

Note 3: Ray Copeland was shown as “Roy Copeland” on one version of the
12” Guilde du Jazz.

Note 4: Group names on Guilde du Jazz: 12” Le fabuleux Lionel Hampton et
ses virtuoses; 10” Lionel Hampton et son Equipe; 7” Lionel Hampton et
ses Vedettes.

Note 5: 10” album title is “du haut d’un Gratte-Ciel (which I assumes
translates as “high in a Skyscraper). Perhaps this gives a clue to as to
where it was recorded?

The session was originally issued on 7" Jazztone/Guilde du Jazz J723,
10" Jazztone/Guilde du Jazz J1040 and 12" Jazztone/Guilde du Jazz J1238.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4496 (20091010) __________

http://www.eset.com